Wednesday, January 19, 2011

All You Tallahassee Mamas

Here's an idea I'm just going to put out there. I actually have to give credit to my mom which is where the idea originated. Again, this is JUST AN IDEA!!

I've done baby swapping with some of you out there which has been most wonderful and always a needed break for just Preston and I to get away. But, I often get left wondering if our dates are too long or if we're imposing too much, etc. SO. . .  here's nd idea that I wanted to get feedback on. If people are interested then we can work on setting it up.

We would have a group list with everyone's name, number and email who was interested. We'd each start out with the same amount of Babysitting Bucks (or minute money? I'm open to suggestions) that would equal time as payment. So, let's say we start out with 3 60min, 2 30min,  and 4 15min (total of 5 hours). Then when you want your date night, you can contact anyone from the sheet who's also involved and pay them with the amount of time that they watch your kid(s).

Here's my thoughts on this idea.

PROS

  • You can spend as much time away from your kid(s) as you spent watching someone else's. 
  • You still feel like you're paying someone for their babysitting
  • It's kind of fun
  • You can offer to watch other people's kids while you're already planning to babysit if you need extra cash (the fake stuff anyway)
CONS
  • I would really really hate for it to get too formal or have people feeling like they should have gotten a little more "money" for their time. That's why the smallest bill would be 15 minutes.
  • It's more work than just calling me up
SO I WANT TO HEAR YOUR THOUGHTS!!! PLEASE!
Let me know if you think it's a good idea, needs tweaking or is just not so practical.
I just had to get it out there. Love all ya'll!

6 comments:

Jenny Bay said...

So of course I don't live in Florida, haha - but just had to share what we do with some ward friends here. We have a babysitting swap group with three families (three kids total, all around the same age). At least a few times a month on Friday nights we have a babysitting swap - each couple takes a turn watching all three kids while the other two get to have a date night. It has worked out great! And the kids love playing together.

Mrs. Blimes said...

Count us in! Call it whatever you want and organize it however you want but COUNT US IN! Free babysitting!!!! HOORAY!!!

Mrs. Blimes said...

Also, the funny wordy thingy you have to do before your comment posts just had me type "got a pot" That was funny :0)

Nite!

Kimba said...

haha I would totally do it if I lived there! My aunt does something similar to Jenny! Every Friday night all the kids go to one couple for like a few hours, enough time to get a session in or dinner and a movie type of thing. Then all the other Friday nights of the month you are free to have date night, but thing is when you drop off your kids they have to be fed and in pajamas so its just easy breezy babysitting. I like the "money" idea though. I'll have to start that with my neighbors!

Preston and Angie said...

The whole kid swap is also great with us! But, it just takes a little more commitment from whomever wants to be involved. We'd love to get 4 couples so all of us would get 3 Fridays off and one day a month of possible chaos. I do like the fed and in pjs plan though. Hadn't thought all that through. Thanks for the ideas!

The Miller Family said...

We would LOVE to do a kid swap thing! I've never heard of the money exchange idea - neat! Somehow though, the idea of watching everyone's kids one night in exchange for 3 free Friday's (or however many Friday's as there are couples involved) just seems easier to keep up with to me...? Does that make sense? We'd totally be up for that!