Monday, April 29, 2013

FHE- Followers of Christ


This week we talked about Elder Oaks' talk from Conference.  Another record-time planning session (is it really "record" if it happens every week?) that led to a successful FHE.  The Lord is really looking out for me!  It seems like all I have to do is make an effort and he takes care of the rest by filling my mind with great ideas.  I love it!  Anyway, the talk is titled "Followers of Christ" and Elder Oaks talks about different things we do that make us Followers of Christ. 

For this FHE you will need:
-footprints (traced or printed then cut out)
-the talk "Followers of Christ" by Elder Oaks from April 2013 General Conference
-tiny pictures for the characteristics you choose.
-something your kids use while they sleep/rest (like a blanky)

Prep:





Make your footprints however you choose. I traced my own feet and cut out a stack of construction paper footprints.  I ended up with 8 (4 of each foot). I think it was just the right amount. Then choose the same number of characteristics that you want to use. Elder Oaks discussed charitable contributions (tithing), baptism, the sacrament, service, missionary work, keeping commandments, repentance and forgiveness.  I added my own applicable habits of sharing, reverence, and playing nicely.  Then search for pictures of each thing.  I used a google search for the topic plus the word "coloring" because then it brought up lots of black and white pictures that are much nicer for my ink supply. They're meant for coloring on, so if you have kids that want to help prep, you could let them color them in!  Or if you're in a super big hurry, you can even just write words on the feet.

The last thing to prep is deciding where you're going to lead them.  I chose my bedroom because the talk basically says that if we follow Christ we'll find rest to our souls.  So, I figured a bedroom is a good resting place.  Wherever you choose, leave your child's "resting item" there where they won't accidentally find it before you start.

Song I used:
Do as I'm doing (with marching in a line to follow the leader. . . since we're talking about following Christ).  "I'm Trying to Be Like Jesus" would work nicely too.

Lesson:
After we had an opening prayer, I explained that just like in our song when we followed each other (each of us got a turn leading) we were talking about following Christ.  I told them that we say "follow in his footsteps" because we want to live the way He did when He walked on the Earth.  I told them that Elder Oaks shared some ways that we can follow in his footsteps.  Then I shared his testimony from the end of his talk that says "He invites all of us who are heavy laden to come unto Him, to learn of Him, to follow Him, and thus to find rest to our souls."(I added emphasis).  I emphasized that we work hard to follow all his footsteps and then we can rest because it can be hard and tiring!

Now the fun part- the footprints!  I just held the stack and showed them the one on top and asked them what the picture showed.  Then when either they would guess it or I would tell them, I would toss it on the ground ahead of us and we all had to run and hop on it.  They started taking turns standing on each one :) I kept tossing the footprints ahead to lead to my room where my resting place is.  Once we were there, they found their blankies waiting on my bed and then we went to their resting places after a quick treat and brushing the teeth.  They both did really well with it and actually went back to race to the footprints after we were done.  So, I asked what steps Brayden remembered.  He started just pointing and saying "that one and that one" so I started naming some for him and he seemed to actually be paying attention and trying to remember them.  Ahhhh.  Another success.  Parenting is SO fulfilling when you're doing it right.  Basically when you partner with the Lord.  Love love love it.

No comments: