Friday, October 14, 2011

Walking in the Dark

You know those moments that you feel like you really can't see where you're going or how to get there? I'm having one of those moments right now.  I usually wouldn't post something about our personal finances, but I am.

The bottom line is that Preston's making $1000 less per month from now on than he did for his first year and we were basically making what we spent then. Now, we have an extra child and even after redoing the budget we are spending $850 more than we make EVERY MONTH! I calculated that to mean that if we live off of our savings and loan money (which we wanted to pay off and can since we refinanced) then we'd be running out of money in 14 months. We should be here at least 19 more months. I know the obvious reaction would be "why did you have another kid?" or "didn't you see this coming?" and all I can say is that we did know he'd be making less, but not exactly how much and we also knew that having a baby would add more financial burden.  But I'd do that again if I had the choice. 

The truth is, we've been slacking on our finances for over a year now! I'm sure it was the adversary sneaking into our lives. We used to be so diligent in tracking every little receipt on a self-designed excel sheet that was very effective for a while. But, just before we moved to Florida our system was becoming less effective for us. Too much busy work. We thought once we moved we'd try and start over and change things how they need to be. Since then, we'll take a look at the statements every now and then, see how much is in the bank, etc. But we haven't been good with budgeting like we used to be. We just mentally track what we think we've spent. And we all know how well that doesn't work. So, I had no clue what this income change would mean. Now that I've sat down to get back into things, I see we're in trouble. 

The good news: we know we're where we need to be and that Preston is in the program that he needs to be. 

The bad news: we still need money to survive and now need to figure out either a job for me or just living off of student loans (which I know is normal for many of you!).

That's why I feel so in the dark of how everything's going to work. How will we survive until graduation? I don't know.  I wish I could see even a little light, but I can't. For now, I just have to have faith that the light will come and that we get to tighten up our spending. I sense more mac and cheese dinners. . . at least it tastes good :)

Again, I don't know why I felt to post about something so personal. Maybe someone knows of a good job opportunity.  Maybe its for my own way of getting stress out. Whatever the reason, here it is. We're in trouble.  The phrase that comes to mind. . . "Come what may, and love it." A good reminder that there's so much to love about life whatever the circumstances!

3 comments:

michtay said...

Money schmoney... :) I wish I could say that and actually mean it. Hehe. Yeah so we're basically gonna live off student loans for the next 4 years...FREAKY! The crazy thing is that I just know things will work out and they will for you too. Love ya!

Meagan @ Meagan Tells All said...

What I've learned is that sometimes, we do things we don't want to do just to help out our financial situation. My mom reminds me that when my dad was in his phD program, my mother worked nights at UPS and went to work at 10pm-4pm right before my dad left for school. She slept in the mornings as best she could but would then take care of us kids during the day. It amazes me all that my parents did in this "school phase" which can be so challenging. I try not to complain to my mom because I know I'll get this story and she'll say, you do what you gotta do. :-) I've taken on my own things that help our family financially that I don't necessarily enjoy or like doing, but it has helped us make it from month to month.

The good thing is, you know your situation and you know what you need to do. I did see a sign at Joann's saying "We're Hiring." That would be my dream job! Fabric for daaays!

I've accepted the fact that we have to live off of student loans, but thankfully, working a little bit takes the edge of our tight budget and lets us order pizza every once in awhile :)

Stay positive, but also, be proactive in helping the situation instead of just sitting back and "waiting" for a change. We had that wake up call after our first semester here in FL. You'll figure it out! The Lord will bless you.

Kimba said...

I'm so sorry things are stressful right now! For some strange reason I felt impressed to mention Mary Kay. I don't know if you have ever looked into it, but I know several people who sell Mary Kay and support there families while their husbands go to school, all while getting to stay at home. I don't love that kind of thing cause I cut hair at home, and I don't feel the need to sell product too. But I know of several success stories with it. Let me know if your interested and I can ask my neighbor how you can see if it's something you wanna do. Give you more info on it. :) Hang in there. Remember the Lord will always provide for your needs. As you do your part.