Monday, September 24, 2012

Birthday FHE

This was our FHE activity a week ago.  Because it was my birthday last week and I just get really excited about it.  So, I adapted this idea from Chocolate on My Cranium, but her idea was way too much for my little young family.  So, I used her cake and found some other candles to print just by searching for candles. Here's the idea.

BIRTHDAY FHE

Preparation:
   Print a cake
   Print an outline of candles on yellow paper
   Cut out the candles and have tape ready
   Make birthday cake or cupcakes for a treat

Song: You've had a birthday

Prayer:

Lesson:
   The way it worked for us, my boys were both just interested in my printed cake and wanted to hold the candles, so while I got tape ready, we all took turns saying one thing we liked about birthdays.  The last candle was used to introduce the lesson and I said "I like birthdays because they remind me of why I'm here on Earth."

Then I summarized the lesson from chocolate on my cranium and it was something like this:
In heaven, we all made a good choice to follow Heavenly Father and come to Earth. Because of that good choice, we got our bodies as a gift on our birth day!  (from Birthdays: A special Celebration by Stephen C. Duncombe)
Even my short summary of the message was quickly losing attention, so I focused on the gift of our bodies and how they can do amazing things.  I asked what our hands can do?  No response. . . so I suggested clapping.  When I suggested that our legs could jump I got a great response! Gotta love little boys! I came up with a few suggestions of what our bodies can do:
   hands - clap
   feet- stomp
   legs- jump
   eyes- blink

Finally, I bore a testimony that if we keep making good choices, we get more great blessings.

Of course the biggest his was our ice cream sandwich cake that Brayden helped make.  I got the recipe from pinterest. Here's the link: http://www.thyhandhathprovided.com/2009/02/ice-cream-sandwich-cake.html 

1 comment:

Donna said...

Wow, that sounds like a fun FHE, wish I had been there. The ice cream cake sounds fun and easy to put together. I don't know how you find so many fun and creative ideas!