Monday, September 24, 2012

I Can Choose to be Happy FHE

Today we talked about choosing to be happy.  Surprisingly, it kept Brayden's attention even though he was in a very tired mood.


Preparation: 
Print and cut out the wordstrip “I can choose to be”
Print and cut out each letter of the word “happy”
Print (or draw) and cut out a happy face
hide the happy face somewhere in the room
come up with some things that help us to be happy (or use my list below)

Song: “Smiles” (CS #267) 
or When We’re Helping We’re Happy (CS #198)

Prayer

Scripture: Psalms 146:5
aHappy is he that hath the God of Jacob for his help, whose hope is in the Lord his God:

Lesson:
Set out the “I can choose to be” word strip with the scrambled letters for “Happy” underneath.  Since my oldest is only 2 1/2, I will spell the word and let him help me with the letter sounds.  Once we make the sentence, repeat it all together.  (this is where I would share the scripture)

Help the children remember things that made them sad and point out what made them happy.  Then tell them that there is a happy face hiding somewhere in the room. You may either hide it in a hard spot and let a spouse or older child find it or let it be easily found by a toddler.  I had my husband look for it :) Once the happy face is found, explain that sometimes it’s easy to find a happy face/feeling and sometimes we have to try really hard to find it.

Lastly, you can ask what sort of things make us happy.  After hearing some answers, list some things you have come up with.  Maybe present them in a fun way? (ie- on the back of the letters to “Happy” or hidden around the room)

Repeat the phrase “I can choose to be happy.”

(optional): sing “If you’re Happy and You Know It.”

Helpful Resources:
“How to Be Happy” by Marlin K. Jensen.  http://www.lds.org/new-era/1999/08/how-to-be-happy

A printable version with the words and everything can be emailed.  Just leave a comment.

2 comments:

Amy said...

thanks for the idea! I used this tonight and my boys loved it. :)

Donna said...

Another great FHE idea! (I'm moving backwards in the blog.) So fun, and such an important lesson to learn that happiness is a choice! If you get this, will you email me the printable info, please?