Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Conference 2013 FHE- Andersen

I have decided to review all the first presidency and apostle's talks for the next few FHEs.  So Monday afternoon I was struggling to decide how to choose whose talk to review when it occurred to me that I didn't have to choose all of them.  I asked Brayden instead.  He chose Andersen.  Uchtdorf and Andersen are usually his favorites.  Funny how a 3 year old has decided his favorite apostles. I sometimes wish I could get in his head just to see his reasoning.  Anyway, when I looked up his talk on my phone all I had to do was read the highlighted text at the top and the idea came to me.  Inspiration at it's best.  I read:

"If you’re not a full-time missionary with a missionary badge pinned on your coat, now is the time to paint one on your heart—painted, as Paul said, 'not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God.'”

I just knew I should cut out some little hearts and write something on it to remind them of this concept.  I skimmed over the entire talk and then got to work cutting.  When I was done, I decided that I would just write "I belong to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints" in the style of a missionary badge (see below).


Then we could talk about how the missionaries want to share their love of the gospel and how we can show our love for the Savior and the gospel too. And that was it.  I read the quote, summed it up that way and we were done with our "lesson."  Then we glued a little picture of Andersen on the front just to involve a craft and to remind them whose talk we discussed.

As an activity we played charades with one turn for each me, Preston and Brayden.  We had to act out a way that we could show our love for the Savior and gospel. I "read my scriptures," Preston "prayed," and Brayden covered his ears. . . ???  We interpreted it to be not listening to anything bad or scary. Haha.  He said we were right :)  gotta love 3 year olds!  We had sort of lost Zander's attention at that point, so we didn't make him do one.  But we mentioned that sharing, and saying nice things also helps people feel loved, which is a feeling from God.  So, there ya have it.  Simple, fun and I thought effective.  Oh, and the hearts were hung by their beds for the week so they could remember to show their love for the Savior because Elder Andersen taught us that that was good.

No comments: